Friday, November 07, 2008

Overreacting???

I have a tendency to overreact when it comes to my children. Yes, I am one of "those" moms that I never thought I would be, but mess with my kids.....and the mama bear in me comes right out of my cave ready to attack. So, here is the situation that took place today, and I need some help deciphering through it to see if I am overreacting.

A little background:

Sometimes I just want to be able to be a normal parent. I have been very proud that Emma has been potty trained (for the most part...excluding nights) since she was 3 years old. Well, anytime that she gets sick, she gets massive diarrea that comes so quickly that she doesn't have time to tell you.

Emma's special ed teacher at school is one of my very best friends. She was in Denver with us through all of Emma's transplant and 2 other surgeries.

So, here's the deal:
Today, Emma sped. teacher was gone. It was a 1/2 day, so after Emma got out of school she went to daycare (where her sped. teacher happened to be working today...it is owned by her daughter). Right before Em got on the bus she had a little accident, so I put a pull up on her just to be on the safe side.

I went to pick Emma up and her sped teacher had all of the 3 and 4 year olds...and emma in a circle singing a song. She stops and says, "Oh, we need to stop...Emma's mom is here". Then, she turns to me and says, "She had a REALLY poopy diaper...I keep telling her that she needs to do this when her mom's around".

Here's my reaction:
I didn't do a thing at the time...I might have been a little more standoffish, but didn't say anything about it. However, my heart is breaking. I realize that Emma has special needs. I realize that she doesn't care that that was said about her in front of her peers. However, I CARE! I would never tell one of my student's parents something like that in front of all of the other kids. Granted, my other students are typical kids and they would be mortified if their peers knew that they had had an accident, but still.....I'm just not OK with that news being announced in front of everyone.

It seriously made me go from having a really great day to just feeling like shit!! How can something like that make me feel so small and insignificant?

Am I overreacting? Please tell me the truth. If I just need to buck up and put on my big girl panties just let me know:).

2 comments:

Anxious AF said...

That would hurt me too, and it wasnt right. She should have known better, there is no doubt. I dont think there would be anything wrong with saying somthing about it. In case it happens again. She is your girl, let the mamma bear out:)

thank you so much for your comment. It helps so much to have you all "near"

Laurie said...

I think this should have been done privately, too. I'm sure I would have reacted the same, though, and not said anything right away. Maybe you can bring it up to her another time, when it's just the two of you.