Monday, November 10, 2008

Not the "P" word!!!

We took another trip to the doctor today. Owen had a fever of 103.8 that wouldn't break with Motrin or Tylenol or 24 hours of antibiotics. That's when I heard that nasy P word...PNEUMONIA! I won't even tell you all of the directions that my mind has wandered. I am quite certain that it has replayed the episode where Em had "pneumonia episodes" for an entire year...only to end up in ICU as I walked into her room to see her oxygen monitor drop to a lovely 32!!! Yes, the rational part of me says that this is Owen not Emma, and it's not going to go there. After all...she was aspirating...he is not, right? He's not, right? UGH!! My mind needs to go to sleep. I think that my mind cannot think very clearly because of lack of sleep.

So, to help my mind to feel better (that's what a momma has to do, right) I have decided to attempt to eat my body weight in carbs. Yes, last nights snack consisted of 3 Pizza Hut Breadsticks (MMMM...that was my #1 craving when I was pregnant with Owen), a big plate of pasta with butter and cheese and a Coke. Tonight, I am having some rice, some nachos, and a Coke. Yup, I am feeling much much better!

5 comments:

Myssie@PendletonMarket said...

It is hard to keep our minds from going there. But you are right, Owen is not Emma. He just has a nasty cold and it will all be over in a few weeks. Hang in there, you are doing great and a few carbs never really hurt anyone, right?? I hope the little guy gets to feeling better soon and that you are able to get some sleep. Thinking of you...

Jenn said...

Oh, poor Owen! And poor mommy! I hope he gets feeling better soon so he can allay some of your worries.

Anxious AF said...

Its true, he will handle this much differently than Emma. Hang in there, and by thanksgiving you will eating pie and it will be over.

Cindy said...

SO sorry to hear he's not better already. I COMPLETELY understand your fears, though. Konrad has had a runny nose for 3 months now. The "p" word was mentioned, but after xrays showed nothing, the pediatrician is chalking it up to teething. I know that's not what Owen has, but I know how you can turn yourself into a wreck, because you know how sick kids can get once you've had a special needs kid (I endured 2 weeks of hell in the hospital when Natalie had pneumonia). But Owen is healthy! He's going to get better soon!

Finding Normal said...

Mmmmm nachos.
I have nightmares about PICU, so I can't much cheer you up, but I will say that I freak when Noah gets sick too, even though he's never been inpatient except when he was born (HURRY UP AND KNOCK ON WOOD!). So I think it's "normal" for us to automatically go worst case scenario on the typical sib.
Now, would you like some Chex Mix? I'm all about the Chex Mix!