Monday, May 23, 2005

The "Universal" Language

I believe that I have found the universal language. Yes, we have all heard that "love" is it....however, this weekend I found myself watching others through the eyes of my child. It was the most beautiful sight I have ever seen. She loves EVERYONE. At what point in our lives do we discover that there is evil in this world? I found myself hoping that she would never discover that.

We went to Yellowstone National Park over the weekend. It was an absolutely gorgious day. Every time that I turned around Emma was waving at someone and giving them a smile that would melt even the meanest person's soul. People would stop, wave back at her, and go on speaking to their friends...in another language! Would they stop and "talk" that way to me???? So, I had to experiment. I walked up to a group of Asian people who obviously were not speaking English. I smiled at them and waved. They just kept on walking. Then, I went and got Emma from Tim. We walked past the SAME group of people and it was like they turned to silly putty! All of the ooohs and aaahhs! They waved at her. They were "speaking" a language that we all have within us...but, babies/toddlers are the only ones who can "speak" the language to everyone. Babies/toddlers truly are the best definition of LOVE!!!!

1 comment:

Colleen said...

Isn't it amazing how children love everyone the have no clue about race or color of skin. I often marvel at this and then take a step back in embarrasement because it is from adults that they learn to hate. I envy the days when we were as free as a child.
I hop[e you all had fun at Yellowstone. It is a wonderful place to visit.